Monday, February 13, 2017

Red Velvet Valentines

Red Velvet Valentines -  the cookie kind that is! 
I found this great recipe in the February 2017 Better Homes and Gardens magazine.  They are really quick and easy to make.  I got out all of my heart cookie cutters and decided to use this ~2" one that was my mothers.
Several of these got eaten right off the rack! Just to be sure they were ok of course.  The recipe made a whopping 50 cookies!
Now the fun of decorating them with Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar.  I got out two stencils I use making cards - and made a big heart mask with card stock and a heart punch!
I laid a stencil over a cookie, held my sieve with the powdered sugar over it and tapped the sieve.
Beautiful results!  My stencils are from MFT and no longer available - but here is another heart stencil from MFT.
Any stencil will do - or you can make your own mask by punching a shape!
Here it is with the sugar sifted over it.
And all the festive Valentine Cookies - ready to be enjoyed!   I'm going to bring some of these to my Bible Study Group tomorrow and some to the grands when I babysit on Friday!
 You can find the recipe at BHG.com under recipes - you have to sign in to access the site.

 A fun and festive YUMMY treat for Valentines!








8 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Your cookies look beautiful and yummy -- great use of your stencils!

Loll said...

Your cookies look so delicious, Julia!! Wish I was there to help with the "quality control". :) Great way to stretch the use of your stencils. xx

Susan said...

Julia, what a brilliant idea to use your card-making stencils to decorate your cookies. Thanks for including the recipe - I just might have to make some tomorrow! They look so delicious and so beautiful!

Redanne said...

They look amazing Julia - good enough to eat !!! Hugs, Anne xx

Kim Heggins said...

Yummy....just so beautiful.

Bonnie said...

Yum! Wish I lived next door to you!

Words and Pictures said...

I've been scrolling to see what else I've missed and had to pause here to say "yum"! These look simply charming.
Alison x

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow Julia! How fun and creative! Love how you created those scrumptious treats!